Saturday 28 January 2017

Style Swap Saturday ~ Blood Dye and Big Boots


Pinup, wasn't my first love.Alternative gothic fashion was my first fashion love. In reality, it was just as unobtainable for me to have at the time as pinup. In 2003 there were no big pinup brands accessible in Australia. You could only buy online was with a credit card, which a 13 year old surely didn't have. I was lost in the world of mainstream mid 2000's fashions while dreaming of being able to wear things I was more comfortable in. Ironically, it took me getting immersed in pinup fashion to feel open to trying new things. So late last year I decided to take the plunge and start dabbling more, so here is my first style swap Saturday review, talking about my first Killstar Dress!

 Bone Bow ~ Ebay
Brooches ~ Miss Mae Bites & FANGtastic from Miss Lady A Broad
Boots ~ Swing 815 Patent Black boots by Demonia (also available from Tragic Beautiful)

I've had my Demonia boots forever (bought way back around 2011-12 from memory) but I only had 1 look that worked with them, so I was super excited to get a second outfit to match them, as I don't get much opportunity to wear them. I found Tragic Beautiful mid last year and had been umming and ahhing for ages. When they got Afterpay, I knew it was time to take the plunge and make this dress mine! Tragic Beautiful had it shipped the next day and I was super happy with their customer service. 


One thing I really love is that I found the confidence to step outside my comfort zone again and try this kind of look. While a big reason I didn't start dressing pinup or alternative was a lack accessibility, a secondary reason at the time was my weight...which is around the same now. I didn't feel good enough to try dressing outside of the box of what society saw as normal and a lot of the representations of gothic style gals I saw online were all incredibly willowy and thin. Now as a 26 year old woman who is in a much better place with her body, I'm finding I'm less inclined to shy away from things I want to try based on my weight. So here I am, reviewing my first 'Alternative' item of clothing at a weight I previously wouldn't have felt confident enough to wear it at. If thats not a body love win, I'm not sure what is!



The first thing I want to cover is the sizing. I initially found it incredibly frustrating, as it only covered bust size and as a curvier girl my bust is my smallest part. Being a bit unsure, I ordered the XL which is meant to cover an 86-92cm bust (for reference my bust is anywhere from a 94-96cm bust). Now the first thing to note about this dress is that its made from Jersey and has a lot of stretch. While waist size I could have sized down, length size it wouldn't have been practical as with my larger hips it would have meant it sat too short on my frame.


It doesn't feature a zip and is stretchy enough it can be pulled over your head. For closure of the collar it features two elastic hoops with buttons. I do like how easy these are to do up and undo. I also do like the opening at the back, its something different and a bit cheeky too. The length of this dress is something I'm still getting used to. Wearing pinup clothes I've gotten very accustom to knee length or just above the knee dresses and skirts. This length was definitely a step outside my comfort zone but one I'm absolutely loving trying. 


I accessorised this dress with two halloween brooches from Australian brooch designer Miss Lady A Broad for a pop of colour amongst the red and black. I've worn this dress twice and I love how comfortable it wears and tie dye style. The reds are truly vibrant and I love how easy it is to wear. I would like to look at investing in some belts that are less retro to help nip in the waist and better define my figure. As I expand this part of my wardrobe I'd also like to try this look with different styles of shoe and stockings in the cooler months. Also ironically I'm finding it a bit trickier to feel a more alternative vibe with my blonde hair, so I'd really like to invest in a wig or two for days I feel like rocking my more alternative vibe!


The Dye Fast Kindred dress by Kill Star is available from Tragic Beautiful for $69.95AUD + postage. I'm absolutely loving this dress and I cannot wait to add more Killstar to my wardrobe!

I hope you've all enjoyed this review and please bare with my while I get more in touch with my alternative side...I'm used to posing in pretty gardens in pretty clothes! Its going to take me a little while to get used to!




No comments:

Post a Comment