Wednesday 20 January 2016

Shirt Dress Glamour! ~ The Zelda Dress from Dolly and Dotty


There's something about retro style shirt dresses that have always fascinated me. I guess its because I kind of see them as the 1950s casual wear for women. I lost count of how many times I swooned over Betty Draper in a shirt dress. And while I do own some styles that pay homage to the shirt dress, I haven't actually owned a button up the front shirt dress before. So when I was contacted by Dolly and Dotty, a new UK based retro brand to collaborate, I knew that the Zelda dress was one I needed to have.

Flowers ~ Peach Rose Double from Daisy Jean Floral Designs
Brooch ~ Mint Radio Brooch from Deer Arrow
Dress ~ Zelda Dress in brown from Dolly and Dotty
Shoes ~ Betty Shoes in brown from Royal Vintage Shoes 
I opted for the Zelda dress in brown, purely because I have a LOT of bright colours and have been wanting to play around with some more neutral colours of late to change up my look. This dress also comes with two options of a brown tie belt or a traditional white belt. For the shoot I went for the tie belt as I thought it gave the dress a nice look and was something a little different.



So how did I find this dress darlings? Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Its comfortable to wear, the invisible side zip behaved well being done up, the light elastic in the sleeve ends isn't enough to make it uncomfortable but fills the function on keeping the sleeves in place. The buttons are sturdy and don't pop (which I was SUPER stoked about!) and overall it is a comfortable dress to wear.


I liked the simplicity of the polka dot pattern. It was fun to style and the mix and match belts mean the dress can have a completely different feel without having to buy any extra pieces. The fabric felt good against my skin and after sitting all day had minimal creasing in it, which is also a good thing! the only thing that didn't work for me, was the length.


Being a girl with a bit more behind than some, I found the dress as the back was considerably lifted by my butt. This was due to the dress being more of an A-line cut of skirt than a swing. The first day I wore this dress, I did so with stockings and suspenders and spent the whole day pulling the dress down at the back as it crept up. This is a dress I'll be wearing more on my errand days when I tend to wear flats and no stockings or when I visit family, purely for the length factor. I do have a hip of around the 44 inch mark, so if you aren't as curvy in the lower half this isn't an issue you'll really encounter.


I opted to wear this cute little Deer Arrow Brooch I bought from Portobello Princess. I loved the mint against the green and thought that is really popped nicely, while definitely keeping a retro feel.

This pretty dress comes in an array of different colours and is currently listed as $24.99US (Thats $36.20AUD for the ladies reading at home) which is an absolute steal! Postage is $30.99AUD ($21.40USD)  however so its definitely worth your while to get two dresses and make the most of it!


I hope you've enjoyed reading this review! I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have if you leave them in the comments! 

Til later darlings!


Disclaimer: Whilst I received this dresss as part of a sponsorship with Dolly and Dotty, all opinions expressed are honest to help ensure the most accurate information for my readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment