Friday 15 January 2016

Vintage Vibes in the Megan Dress from Karina Dresses


Since the middle of last year, I've been having a growing obsession with the 1940's. Its not secret. I've talked about it before. I find women of the 1940's to be incredibly strong, sassy and badass. Women who were used to a man supporting the family going to work building planes and other equipment to help the war effort. I've recently been watching a lot of documentaries on the first and second world war (my knowledge was pretty shabby prior to this recent documentary binge) and I'm so honoured to be living in a world made possible by the men and women that gave their lives to fight in those wars. 

But darlings...lets get back to what we are here to talk about and that is CLOTHES! So, as I was saying before I got sidetracked, I've recently been on the hunt for dresses that hark to the 1940's era and when I got contacted by Karina Dresses wanting to collaborate, I knew instantly which dress I needed to have! 

Flower ~ Wine Rose Double from Daisy Jean Floral Designs
Brooch ~ Cactus Brooch from Mira Mae Originals
Belt ~ Ebay
Dress ~ Megan dress in Wine with Tan dots from Karina Dresses
Shoes ~ BAIT from Royal Vintage Shoes
Firstly, this dress is incredibly comfortable to wear! It has no zip but is stretchy and is just pulled over the head. Even with this feature the waist is nicely structured and nips you in. As the fabric has quite a bit of stretch it would also allow for ladies with a bigger bust to wear it without too much difficulty. The sleeves are comfortable and give coverage while not being too long. I wore this dress on Monday when Sydney was experiencing a VERY hot day and it breathed really well. But I also feel it would be warm when worn with a cardigan and a slip. This dress is one that I believe could be worn all year round with ease, which is always a bonus when you are investing in a retro wardrobe.


The styling of this dress is incredibly versatile thanks to its block colour and dot pattern. I've worn it with both dark and light accessories and each time its looked lovely. For my shoot I wore it with a petticoat but it does give a truer vintage look when worn with a slip and back seamed stockings. For my shoot today though I decided to have some fun and wear it with a petticoat, which does also give a great 1950's shape! I wore mine today with white! My belt is from ebay and if you are curious about my thoughts on my Halina shoes you can read the review on them here


Plus petticoats are fun for twirl in! There is something incredibly fun and almost princess like in twirling in a full skirt with a petticoat! I've been known to do it in deserted shopping centre car parks myself. But honestly, all in all I'd give this dress a thumbs up. Its well made, versatile, comfortable and it breaths! For my American readers this dress retails at $108US (aussie ladies sadly the exchange rate does bring this dress to around $154AUD) and they do ship internationally. 


I wanted to also share a closer look at this adorable little brooch I'm wearing today! The Prickly Pear Cactus Brooch is an original Design of Mira Mae Originals . She is the most gorgeous little Aussie lady who not only makes brooches that are her own original design but tops as well! You can snap yourself up this brooch for $18AUD + postage too which is incredibly reasonable!


Thank you all so much for reading this post! It feels SO amazingly good to be back posting here and sharing my love of vintage and pinup styling with you all like I have always wanted to!

Stay safe darlings!


Disclaimer: Whilst I received this dress as part of a sponsorship with Karina Dresses, all opinions expressed are honest to help ensure the most accurate information for my readers. 

2 comments:

  1. The colour of this dress is so pretty, it looks like an awesome one for all year round wear! One day maybe I'll get to try it out. :D ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete