Friday 28 April 2017

The Perfect Pet Lovers look with Dangerfield clothing


Most pinups are a sucker for a novelty print. There’s something about them that is so quintessentially vintage. They’re something I’ve always admired, though I own very few myself. I find the true vintage ones I love are always WAY too small and true vintage novelty skirts aren’t cheap. So when I saw this adorable novelty style dress from Dangerfield pop up on my Instagram feed and also that they recently added afterpay to their store, I decided to take the plunge and get my first Dangerfield piece since I started in pinup a couple of years ago.

Scarf ~ Red Repro Nylon Scarf from Daisy Jean
Brooch ~ Scotty Dog Brooch from Miss Lady A Broad
Top ~ Robin  top in cream by Collectif from Gwynnies
Dress ~ Puppy in a Basket dress in black from Dangerfield
Shoes ~ Dolores slingbacks in brown from Royal Vintage Shoes
Dangerfield is an Australia store that stock a broad range of clothing, but their styles definitely are popular with the retro community, especially with their inhouse brands Revival and their Dangerfield brand. As a baby pinup who was quite a lot smaller, I struggled a lot with their proportions so moved away from them as a brand. But now days my body is very different and I thought it couldn’t hurt to give it another go. When I saw this print pop up I knew I had to add it to my wardrobe. With the price difference between the skirt and dress I felt the dress for me was a better option. So I took the plunge, added it to my cart and pressed buy.


My dress arrived pretty quickly. I got standard postage and I had it the week after purchasing (ordered the Thursday, arrived the following Wednesday). The tracking was updated throughout and it was well packaged. I was excited to unwrap it and see what it was like. The dress is made from 100%. I do love that this is the case, as I need cotton options for warmer or humid days due to my sensitive skin. The fabric isn’t super thick, but it’s also not super thin. It’s not see through (as you can tell by the fact I’m wearing a white knit top underneath and it’s now showing through). Featuring a back zip that’s not an invisible zip was also a win for me as I have a love hate relationship with them. I like the little bust tie detail this dress has and I also like that it’s easy to layer and in neutral colours, making it a great dress for all year round.


Being SO long since I last ordered from them…I scrutinised the size chart and went for the size closest to my current measurements which was a size 16. When it arrived it quickly became apparent that a size 14 would have been better. This dress is quite loose on me (though not enough to be hugely noticeable), especially in the bust and shoulders. I think I will end up just reducing the shoulders slightly for a better fit. As a first buy with my changed body I’m not too upset. I’d rather get something and have it a bit big than too small. And by throwing on a belt the dress is still wearable without the fit issues being hugely noticeable. 


The puppy print truly is the champion of this dress and its definitely why I bought it. Made to look like a painted vintage novelty print, this puppy pattern is actually printed onto the fabric, which makes it quite resilient to wear and tear. As someone who grew up always having dogs and has been unable to have them as an adult due to the rental market, I love I can wear this cutie even if I can’t own a pupper myself.  


For this shoot I decided to go a bit preppy with my look! My Scotty brooch from Miss Lady A Broad was the perfect match for my look because the only thing better than a dress with puppies on it is adding a puppy brooch! A red scarf and belt added some colour to my look while my knit top gave it the preppy feel I was after. My Dolores heels lifted the look to be a bit more adult without losing the preppy vibe of the outfit. Ladies this dress also features pockets too!


The Puppy in the Basket dress is also available in olive, if black isn’t your jam. I bought my dress for $88AU + postage and overall I’m pretty happy with it. This dress is one I know I’ll get wear out of, especially in the warmer months down here in Oz and its definitely made me relook at Dangerfield as a place to buy from to add fun prints to my wardrobe!

I hope you all have loved this review! I’ve finally finished up my holiday review post, it goes live tomorrow! And I’ve got a busy weekend shooting my style swap for you all as well as a bunch of new looks for the blog.

Til next time darlings!



No comments:

Post a Comment