Wednesday 23 November 2016

Guest Blogging for What Katie Did ~ Sharing the body love in Party Wear!

Hello darlings!

So earlier this year I was contacted by the amazing What Katie Did (a retro lingerie company in the UK that I adore) to work on a blog series to showcase how to style foundation garments on a curvier frame with certain outfits and after some organizing we decided on a 3 blog series to showcase 3 different styles of outfits with corresponding foundation garments! 

I think its so great to see retro lingerie brands being more body inclusive. As a curvier girl it can be intimidating finding retro foundations when you can't relate to the models showcasing it and worrying about fit, so I am thrilled to be able to share my love of lingerie, with a brand I love with you all! 

I'm also loving the photos for this collaboration so much! The photography goddess Sherbet Birdie shot this series and her photography is amazing (if you haven't shot with her you need to!). I was beyond excited about the entire thing and still am! I also shared some behind the scenes sneak peaks for you all of this set (another coming for the next one soon!) to show the process of my transformation and a glimpse of the process of this photoshoot, as keeping it real is something I'm about. 

Our first blog post is now live and it covers killer curves for this years party season, featuring What Katie Did (of course!) and Pinup Girl Clothing, an another amazing retro brand that is size inclusive for more fuller figured ladies! I wanted to share it here for you all. For those who want to read the original article, check out the What Katie Did website here! I have another two guest posts coming, showing off two different looks again! 

Guest Blogger: CurveCreation on Partywear!

The end of the year is creeping up with surprising speed and no matter where you are in the world, December is function season. Parties, formals, proms, graduations, Christmas events and New Year’s celebrations are everywhere as we celebrate the closing of another year. For me it’s no exception, and when I go glam I really like to look my best.
This party look is inspired by the decadence of past screen sirens. As my figure leans more towards a pear shape, I am lucky enough to have a proportionally much smaller waist, which makes a super-curvy bombshell look very achievable. However fear not if you have a different figure – I’m here to prove with the right foundations everyone can feel like Marilyn Monroe, and pull off those slinky dresses you always wanted to, whatever your size or shape!
To create an hourglass shape I use a layered approach, something I save for occasions where I want to add a little bit of extra sass to my outfit and figure. While I do naturally have a smaller waist to hip ratio (around 12-14 inches) I do like to make this difference more dramatic when I want to look extra fabulous. I start with a pair of high waisted Maitresse Knickers, underneath a Vamp Corset in Black Satin from What Katie Did. As a gal with a shorter torso, smaller waist and carrying most of my curves in the bottom, I find that the ultra-curvy Vamp really works for me. The shorter length doesn’t restrict my movement and the signature goring on the hips allows for a really good cinch on my waist without compromising my fuller hips. The reduction a Vamp gives is amazing and perfect for a high glamour look like this one! For a smoother finish, I’ve replaced the cord laces with lacing ribbon, which I feel doesn’t bunch as much under clothes, meaning you aren’t left with bulges. Although the Vamp is my personal favourite, there are of course lots more options for different shapes and styles at What Katie Did, as they create corsets in sizes 16”- 34” which equates to approximately UK 6-24 (US 2-20) dress sizes!
Over the top of my corset I’m wearing the Glamour Nouveau Corselette in Black. While Corselettes are usually worn without a corset for cinching and shaping, for this outfit I used it to take the work the Vamp does and helps bring it up to the next level. The cups clip separately from the bodice, which I find gives brilliant bust support, and the front eye hook closure allows for a sleek finish with no lumps and bumps. By wearing the Corselette over corset, the lines of the corset are smoothed (especially useful under tight-fitting dresses), as well as offering shaping to my hips and giving my bust a lift with the built in bra. The six straps on the Corselette allow for comfortable hold on my stockings, which means I don’t have to spend the night adjusting them (because no-one needs that distraction when they’re looking this fabulous!) I’ve also found the Corselette to be a highly versatile piece for day-to-day life as well, as it’s perfect for under not just wiggle styles, but swing and a-line dresses and skirts too.

 To complete this glamorous look, I’ve chosen a pair of Fully Fashioned Empire Heel Stockings. The intricate designs on the heels of Empire Heel Stockings were inspired by the Empire State Building in New York, and back in the day ladies would save their Empires (also known as Manhattans) for very special occasions only, as they were considered so fancy! Fully Fashioned Stockings are incredibly soft and sleek, and I find a little bit of luxury the perfect finish to an outfit like this; even if they’re only just seen, you can’t be wearing any old stockings under a dress as gorgeous as this!


As a lover of slinky dresses that accentuate my hips and waist, it was great fun finding the perfect dress to complete this look. While there are many incredible designers around who make beautiful floor-length dresses, Pinup Girl Clothing’s iconic Gilda Gown will always be a firm favourite. After a little indecision, I decided to go with the Purple Velvet Gilda Gown and, of course, couldn’t resist the matching cape. This stunning gown is ideal for any event where serious glamour is required (although that definitely won’t stop me wearing it anywhere I can!) The fit, with its own built-in bengaline shaper, makes it perfect for ladies of all shapes and it’s available in a huge variety of sizes. It’s also perfect for achieving instant elegance – it’s figure-hugging yet forgiving, with wide shoulder straps (making bra-wearing easy, even for the better endowed of us) and a mini fan train which adds to the silver screen starlet feeling. The matching cape features the most stunning silver diamante clasp and is perfect to keep you warm without having to resort to a bulky coat during the evening. It’s also a great option to cover up your arms if you’d rather not show them off, without having to resort to sleeves which can sometimes be a little stuffy and hard to dance in. It also means you have the option of two different looks – both of which radiate high end glamour. (For ladies who aren’t a huge fan of the floor length Gilda, it also comes in a knee length version, ideal for cocktail parties)
I chose to keep the accessories simple to compliment the silver clasp on the cape. A simple vintage silver diamanté bracelet and matching dress earrings were chosen to help pull the look together, and Miss L Fire’s 1940s Lila Heels in Black Velvet (purchased from Royal Vintage Shoes) gave me a little leg-lengthening lift to complete the look. For an extra level of evening glamour, a pair of What Katie Did’s elbow length satin gloves would look absolutely amazing.
And so as you can see, with the right foundations anyone can be a silver screen starlet!
 Credits:
Photography: Sherbert Birdie 

By What Katie Did
Glamour Nouveau Corselette - Black - 32-38 B-F (10-16 B-F) - £95.00
Vamp Corset - Black - 18"-34" - £169.50
Maitresse Nouveau Knickers - Black - 8-18 - £26.50
Fully Fashioned Empire Heeled Stockings - Black - S/M/L - £25.00
Long Satin Gloves - Black - One Size - £17.50

Other Pieces:
Shoes: Miss L Fire Lila Heels (stocked at Royal Vintage Shoes)
Jewellery: Vintage


I hope you've all enjoyed this post as much as I've loved writing it for this collaboration and I am so excited for the next release!

Til next time darlings!

Disclaimer: This post was a joint collaboration with UK Lingerie Brand What Katie did and US brand Pinup Girl Clothing. All opinions expressed are honest  and my own to help ensure the most accurate information for my readers. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my wow, what stunning photos! That gown is totally beautiful on you! Gorgeous lingerie too! xo

    ReplyDelete