Thursday 18 June 2015

Dolls & Dames Workshop held at Viva Moss Vegas


So last Saturday, my good friend Caitlin and I headed off to the brisk, cool Southern Highlands for our first workshop with the hair and makeup goddess, Eva of Dolls and Dames. I was super excited, as I’ve had the pleasure of working with Eva previously on shoots (as well having her work her magic at the Sydney Rock n Roll markets!) and I was excited when Caitlin suggested that we go.



I woke up bright and sparky early and wish a fresh face, pony tail and high hopes I met Caitlin at her place and we road tripped our way from the hustle and bustle of Sydney to the rather brisk, yet picturesque picture of the Southern Highlands, around a 2 hour’s drive from the city. I was also excited about the day as it was being held at the retro store Viva Moss Vegas, who I had the pleasure of meeting when I worked with Erstwilder at the Reed Gift Fair earlier this year as well as seeing her photography popping up on my social media through some ladies I know, so I was keen to see her business and enjoy the day.



We arrived at 10am on the dot and rugged up we made our way into the back section of the store, where we were greeted with the scene of Eva and a group of nervous yet excited looking women crowded around a long table in the studio of the store. A front roller was up in all of our hair and we began on the makeup!


Even though I’ve reached a point where with a lot of makeup stuff that I’m now quite confident in myself and my skills, even just watching the techniques of other ladies, I really learnt a lot. I also realized that I know more than I give myself credit for now days with makeup. I’ve gone from a complete make up newbie to someone who can do a full face in less than 10 minutes and who after a few years of practice, can now do kick ass liner in no time at all! It was also exciting to play with JUMBO stacked lashes and I kind of felt like if I blinked a lot, I’d take off! I want to get back into wearing daily lashes again. It really does finish a pinup look, even just wearing a demi set.



We then moved onto hair and this was kind of where my frustration began. The reality is, I haven’t had a haircut in around 6 months now and it means my hair has become much too long and has therefore become extremely rebellious. That coupled with my need to redo my regrowth (my natural hair will not tease to for me, no matter how many tears I shed) meant I really struggled. I knew how to do the displayed technique but I couldn’t get my hair to cooperate and with my color being SO washed out atm any unsmoothed teasing was extremely obvious! There were nearly tears of frustration as I fought with my hair, but thankfully Eva came to my rescue and managed to bully it into doing what it should have done initially. It was also great to see Caitlin completely rock doing her hair and look fabulous doing it!



We then had a little photo shoot, which I loved. I didn’t realize how much I missed being in front of the camera and it’s made me even more excited for this weekend and shooting for blog reviews as well as really pushed my drive to get shooting more often happening again! Especially now all my shooting for my business Daisy Jean is finished and I’ve moved and settled into a new place.


I absolutely love my image from shooting on the day and I really want to shoot with Viva Moss Vegas again in the future! You can see my image below! I’ll also be reviewing this outfit sometime next week, along with 7 other Hell bunny pieces so keep your eyes peeled!!


I’d also like to take a minute to thank a very special lady for making my attendance at this workshop possible. I’m going to be honest and say I don’t have a lot of friends, but I am so grateful for the ones I do have. Caitlin is someone I’m so proud to call a friend and it was so great to go along to the workshop and learn new things together and see her push herself outside of her comfort zone.

For more information on Dolls & Dames click here. For more information on Viva Moss Vegas, click here. To read Caitlin’s blog Closet Confessions, click here!

If you are a newbie to Pinup Hair and make up I'd definitely recommend attending a Dolls n Dames workshop if you can! Even as someone a bit more 'advanced' than a beginner, I still learnt a lot!

I hope you’ve all enjoyed this post and I’m looking forward to sharing my hair transformation with you all on Saturday evening!

Til tomorrow


No comments:

Post a Comment